Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet (1940)
In Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy has very particular guidelines as to who the perfect woman is. The perfect (accomplished) woman is one who has
“a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved.’ Caroline Bingley…’All this she must possess,’ added Darcy, ‘and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading.”
After reviewing this statement I have discovered that I am Mr. Darcy’s perfect woman.
1)Knowledge of Music
I grew up in a musical house, although I cannot play any one instrument profusely. Here are some of my musical accomplishments.
- The Afoxé: I love this instrument and have been playing it my whole life.
- The Piano: I know how to play Hot Cross Buns, Rugrats Theme, and Chopsticks.
- The Recorder: This is the instrument that I am best in. I learned how to play the Star Wars Theme, Hot Cross Buns, Three Blind Mice, Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me), and every song from Disney’s Pocahontas.
- The Guitar: I know one very old hymn.
I have sung my whole life. I absolutely love to sing along to anything playing that I know. I was in many musicals in high school; having little solos. The only bad thing is that I have an alto voice, which has never been prided on. Everyone always prefers sopranos in women. At least I have Motown to fall back on. Motown cannot be sung right by a soprano, they are just not able to belt out the tunes.
I took painting and drawing classes for two years before I switched to photography. Now I am not one of those geniuses who can draw or paint a perfect image from memory, but I do extremely well at drawing if I can see the image I am trying to sketch. Painting, I only do well at watercolors, or objects such as a room, plate, frame, etc. I also do very well in pastels and chalk. Cartooning is another thing I do well, as you don’t have to apply to realistic proportions. My main forte is in decoupage, collaging, and photography.
I am not the world’s best dancer, but my biggest strength is that I am a fast learner, and can be taught dance moves quickly. However I have been trained in certain areas.
- Waltz: I learned this from the Sleeping Beauty’s collector edition DVD. It was very easy to learn
- Thriller: Love the song and know almost the whole dance.
- Flashdance: I know the whole dance, but am not as good as her.
- Ballet: Was in a class for a few days before I transferred out, I was put there by accident. However, what I learned there will forever remain in my mind.
- The Time Warp: Such a fun song!
- Bollywood: I watch a lot and love to dance along.
- Mash Potato: Such fun!
- The Twist: Who doesn’t like to twist?
- Square Dancing: A fun requirement everyone has to learn.
- Line-Dancing: I love all types of music, country being one of them.
- West Coast Swing: Unfortunately there weren’t enough guys so I learned the guy’s part instead of the girls.
- Breakfast Club Dance: Not only can I do the feet thing, but I have Ally Sheedy’s dance down.
- MC Hammer: Only Can’t Touch This, and not even all of that.
5) Modern Languages
I wish I knew more languages fluently, but alas I am only bilingual (and even that some may not count.)
- Fluent American: Not the same as English as we have a mix of slang from many different cultures and word’s that have multitude of meanings.
- Fluent English: I know the proper and elegant way to word things, along with a lot of English slang.
- Some Spanish: My family is part hispanic and I have taken three years of spanish class. I know how to introduce myself (Me llamo es), say where I am from (Yo soy de), if I want to go somewhere (Yo voy, tu vas, nosotros vamos…), how to ask for things (puedo por favor; donde esta…), help (ayudame), the weather, how to say I am hurt or injured, can count etc…
- Smattering of French: I know how to say hello, good-bye (five different ways), and a few other things.
- Sign Language: I know quite a few words and the whole alphabet.
- Danish: A few words here and there
5) Something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions
Got all those covered. Everything in my manner of doing things always brings support to what I am talking about.
6) Extensive Reading
This is where I fit the bill most of all. I have been reading since I was a small child, and I READ ALL THE TIME. I am never without a book, and devour them extremely fast, no matter the length. In fact I meet my goal of reading 365 books this year a couple of weeks ago. And I love to read EVERYTHING! Mystery, classics, sci-fi, horror, romance, historical fiction, non-fiction, biography, westerns, plays, novels, etc. I love the library, that spend as much free time there possible. One of my favorite things is to just go through the stacks and look at all the different books, choosing which I think will be best. I have too many favorite books and authors that I just can’t pick one. I really want a library like in Beauty and the Beast or The Swan Princess. I mean if Darcy has asked me to marry him in his rude, conceited way that first time; I would have considered saying yes because I would know he would have a fantastic library.
I know that this isn’t technically something that Darcy said was attractive in a woman, but it was something that most people valued a woman knowing back then. I only know hand sewing, and that in itself is mostly subjects related to patching; but I embroider like a boss. I have been doing it ever since I was a kid, amd enjoy it immensely.
Yes, I know. Only poor women or domestic help cooked at that time, but I’m proud of the fact that I am an extremely good cook. I can make anything, as long as I have a recipe, and am not daunted at trying new things. And for all the modern men out there, I make the best sandwiches out of every person I know. My older sister and I used to kid that I would make one very lucky guy extremely happy with that talent.
Well with all these accomplishments; along with filling many others that we value today, what guy wouldn’t want me? LOL
How many of you out there also fit the bill for Darcy’s Dream Date?