I love looking for more recipes to do that go with tea.
This recipe comes from my sister blog, MysteriousEats, I wanted to make it as I hate eating oatmeal-like for breakfast with milk or hot water. Ugh, so gross-So any time I find a recipe that uses up oatmeal in baking, I love to try it.
But as I was making it I ran into one problem, I had started baking but then realized all my eggs were bad!
What to do?
I went online and found you can substitute with applesauce.
- 1 1/3 Cup of Flour
- 1 Cup of Quick-Cooking or Old-Fashioned Dry Oatmeal
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup of Finely Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1/4 Cup of Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/3 Cup of Melted Salted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray a 12-cup muffin tin, set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and oatmeal.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon on top. Mix them thoroughly.
- Stir in the brown sugar. Mix until all is blended.
- Shred the carrots if you haven’t already done so. A fine shred is best. You want them to cook in the time it takes the muffins to bake and turn golden brown and delicious.
- Add the shredded carrots to your bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- In a separate small bowl: combine the milk, beaten egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Give it a good stir so that everything is well combined.
- Dump the contents of the small bowl into the larger bowl. Gently stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened and no dry “pockets” remain.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Set the muffin pan on a cold burner or a wire rack for 10 mins. After they have cooled for 10 mins, put them on a rack to cool.
- Makes about 12 muffins.
I loved them! So healthy and delicious!
For more recipes, go to Slow-Cooker Bread
For more borrowed from Mysterious Eats, go to Baked Apple Slices
In other news, this is a 100th post, now my 1100th
For the 1000th post, go to Most Romantic Moment In Real Life
For the 900th post, go to But This is Your Hour—When Darkness Reigns