Back in 2020, some friends and I started a Tea Party/Bible Study/Book Club. We met every Wednesday and worked our way through the Chronicles of Narnia and are currently working through The Chronicles of Prydain. When we started I resolved to share all the recipes, but I couldn’t keep up and that’s why I’m still two years behind (but I’m catching up!) All recipes are now going to be titled Books, Tea, and the Trinity.
After we finished The Magician’s Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; A Horse and His Boy, and Prince Caspian; the next book was The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
We continued our discussion of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The first week we had Golden Tip Lapsang Souchang tea, Dragon Cheddar Scones, Roast Beef and Watercress Sandwiches, Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Tea Sandwiches, Pizza Balls, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.
The second week we didn’t have anything homemade, but the third week we had Thai Green Milk Tea: Grandpa’s Favorite Thai White Tea; Blueberry Scones, Cranberry Feta Pinwheels, Pepper Teigen’s Thai Sweet Chili Tea Sandwiches; Cranberry, Cream Cheese, and Turkey Pinwheels; Lemon Squash; and Salami Wrapped Parmesan Cheese.
This recipe comes from The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Family Recipes from Everyone’s Favorite Thai Mom by Pepper Teigen and Garrett Snyder. My sister and I really enjoyed this book as it had wonderful recipes and all were catered toward making Thai cooking easy for someone starting out along with what you can substitute with if you are unable to find certain ingredients. We also enjoyed reading about Pepper Teigen’s thoughts on life, food, and family. I recommend it if you like Thai food and cooking.
- 6 slices soft white bread or potato bread
- 6 tbsp. (3 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 tbsp. Thai chili jam (nam prik pao) or 4 tbsp. chile crisp
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- Cilantro leaves
- Kosher or flaky salt
- Place the bread slices on the counter.
- Divide the cream cheese evenly among three of the bread slices—use as much as you need so there’s a good blanket on the bread.
- Spread the chili jam onto the other three slices.
- Top the cream cheese side with cucumber slices, a few sprigs of cilantro, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Place the slice with chili jam on top and gently press together.
- Trim off the crusts (see note, below) and cut each sandwich into thirds crosswise.
- Place on a fancy platter and serve with your favorite tea.
- Note: While cutting off the crusts of the bread is a must, that doesn’t mean you have to throw those scraps away, says Teigen. Toast them in the oven for a few minutes until crunchy, then grind them in a blender and voilà, instant bread crumbs.
These were so delicious! Eaten immediately! I highly recommend.
For more from our Books, Tea, and the Trinity tea times, go to Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Tea Sandwiches
For more sandwich recipes, go to Roast Beef & Watercress Tea Sandwiches
For more recipes, go to How to Throw a Valentea Party
For more tea posts, go to Dragon Cheddar and Tomato Scones