So the last week my book club met and discussed the book The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. Typically we just have light snacks, but as I didn’t have to work due to the quarantine, I decided I would do a little tea party.
In the book, The Secret Adversary, the two main characters go to tea a few times at Lyons Tea Cafe. I originally wanted to try to make something like the tea shop would have, but then my coworker gave me a whole box of Meyer’s Lemons.
So instead we had egg salad sandwiches, ham and cheese sandwiches, french fries (pommes pont neuf), Scottish Oat scones, lemon curd, lemon crinkle cookies, and meyer lemon poppyseed cake. Instead of putting all the recipes in one post and making it too long, I decided to break it up and share each recipe separately so that if interested, you can make your own and eat it with a cup of tea and some Jane Austen.
This recipe comes from Pineapple & Coconut.
- 2 Cups + 2 Tbsps of Flour
- 1.5 Tsp of Ground Ginger
- 1.5 Tsp of Cardamom
- 2 Tsp of Baking Powder
- 3/4 Tsp of Salt
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 4 Tbsp of Meyer Lemon’s Zest
- 10 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp of Meyer Lemon’s Juice
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Cup of Powdered Sugar (Confectioners Sugar)
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cardamom, ginger, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar and lemon zest. Rub the zest between your fingers until it is fully mixed in with the sugar.
- Cream butter and sugar-zest mixture together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 mins.
- Add eggs in one at a tim, mixing well.
- Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice, and mix again.
- Add flour and mix slowly until combined, do not over mix.
- Chill dough 3-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.
- Place the sugar in one bowl and powdered sugar in the other.
- Take the chilled dough and roll into 1.5 Tbsp sized balls.
- Roll in sugar first, then roll in powdered sugar-making sure it is completely covered.
- Place dough on prepared sheets about two inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are golden.
These cookies were delicious!
I could not stop eating them!
If you like lemon and cookies, you should defintely make these!
For more cookie recipes, go to Crispy, Chewy, Matcha Green Tea Cookies
For more recipes, go to Meyer Lemon Poppyseed Cake
For more tea parties, go to Literary Tea Parties