So every Wednesday, starting in October, I have been a part of a Tea Party/Bible Study/Book Club on The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis. This is different from my book club and the Book Club Picks I have been reviewing (and desperately need to catch up on). The first week we had Cederberg Tea Company Rooibos + Ginger Tea, Cranberry-Spice Scones with Maple Cream, Cucumber-Four Peppercorn Goat Cheese Canapés, Ham and Cheese Tea Sandwiches, Fotina & Pork Puffed Pastry, and Mini Apple Pies.
I couldn’t share the recipes in October as I was in the middle of Horrorfst IX, so I will be starting now-and as I started with scones, I’m moving on to sandwiches.
This recipe comes from Tea Time Magazine Annual British Issue.
- 1/3 Pound of English Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons of English Mustard
- 8 Slices of Firm Honey Wheat Bread
- 8 Large Slices of Deli-Style Ham
- Using a cheese slicer, cut very thin slices of cheese horizontally from a cheese block (I picked up cheese from the deli so it was already sliced thin.)
- In a small bowl combine mustard and mayonnaise, mix well.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise mixture onto 8 slices of bread.
- Arrange 2 ham slices on 4 bread slices.
- Place cheese slices over the ham and top with remaining bread slices, spread side down, to make 4 sandwiches.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from each sandwich to create 4.5×2.5-inch rectangles.
- Cut each sandwich into 3 (2.5×1.5-inch rectangles).
- Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving.
So my sandwiches didn’t come out quite right, I don’t think I cut the bread as thick as it should have been, as they kept toppling over.
I’ve noticed that a lot of these English recipes want you to use mustard and mayonnaise, not my favorite condiments. I usually half the amounts as that is more to my taste.
Otherwise they were pretty good and very easy to make.
For more from The Magician’s Nephew Tea Party/Book Club, go to Cucumber-Four Peppercorn Goat Cheese Canapés
For more recipes, go to Cranberry-Spice Scones with Maple Cream
For more sandwiches, go to Cucumber Sandwiches
For more tea posts, go to Mug o’ Tea Treats Christmas Gift