Back in 2020, some friends and I started a Tea Party/Bible Study/Book Club. We met every Wednesday and worked our way through the Chronicles of Narnia and are currently working through The Chronicles of Prydain. When we started I resolved to share all the recipes, but I couldn’t keep up and that’s why I’m still three years behind (but I’m catching up!) All recipes are now going to be titled Books, Tea, and the Trinity.
After we finished The Magician’s Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; A Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: the next book in the series was The Silver Chair.
The first week we had: Cheese and Basil Scones, teatime magazine Lemon-Basil Butter Cucumber Sandwiches, teatime magazine Egg Salad and Watercress Sandwiches, and yogurt fruit bark; along with Winter Grey tea.
The first recipe, the scones, I actually came up using an old recipe as a base.
- 8 Tbsps (1 Stick) of Cold, Unsalted Butter, Cut into Small Pieces, Plus Extra for Baking Sheets
- 3.5 Cups of All-Purpose Flour, Plus Extra for Later
- 2 Tsp of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- 2 Cups of Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tbsp of Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1.5 Cups of Sour Cream, heavy cream, or Buttermilk
- 1 Egg, Beaten, or Milk for Brushing Scones
- Preheat the Oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat two baking sheets with butter.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add butter, using fingertips to combine until mixture takes on texture of fine cornmeal.
- Stir in 1.5 cups of grated Cheddar cheese and 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh basil into mixture.
- Add sour cream, buttermilk or heavy cream and stir until flour mixture is just moist and dough begins to stick together.
- Gather dough into a ball and knead lightly until fully integrated.
- Place dough on floured work surface and roll with a floured rolling pin to 3/4 inch thick.
- Dip a 2-inch cutter into flour and cut out scones as close to one another as possible or roll out and cut into wedges.
- Place on prepared baking sheets with space in between. Let stand ten minutes, then brush the tops with egg or milk.
- (Optional Sprinkle tops with an additional 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese before baking.)
- Bake until golden brown, 10-12 mins
These were absolutely delicious! For for anyone’s table.
For more scone recipes, go to Glazed Cinnamon Scones
For more from our Books, Tea, and the Trinity tea times, go to Pepper Teigen’s Thai Sweet Chili Tea Sandwiches
For more recipes, go to Marilla’s Raspberry Cordial
For more tea posts, go to Tea for Me, Tea For You