So every Wednesday, starting in October, I have been a part of a Tea Party/Bible Study/Book Club on The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis. This is different from my book club and the Book Club Picks I have been reviewing (and desperately need to catch up on). The first week we had Cederberg Tea Company Rooibos + Ginger Tea, Cranberry-Spice Scones with Maple Cream, Ham and Cheese Sandwiches, Cucumber-Four Peppercorn Goat Cheese Canapés, Fotina & Pork Puffed Pastry, and Mini Apple Pies.
I couldn’t share the recipes in October as I was in the middle of Horrorfst IX, so I will be starting now-and as I started with scones, I’m moving on to sandwiches.
So this recipe comes from Tea Time Magazine Annual British Issue, an were originally called Cucumber-Blue Cheese Canapés, but I don’t like blue cheese. I think it is extremely gross.
So when I was browsing for a goat cheese substitute I spotted Laura Chenel’s Chèvre Four Peppercorn Fresh Goat Cheese Chabis and boy let me tell you, that cheese is absolutely delicious. So if you want the original recipe, you’ll have to buy the July/August 2020 issue as the recipe isn’t online.
- 4 Slices of firm White Sandwich Bread
- 3 Tablespoons of Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon of Laura Chenel’s Chèvre Four Peppercorn Fresh Goat Cheese ( I used way more as I love cheese)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Chopped Parsley
- 1/2 English Cucumber
- Garnish: Parsley Leaves
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from bread slices. Cut bread into 8 2.5×1.5 inch rectangles.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, cheese, and parsley until combined.
- Spread a layer of the mixture onto the bread rectangles. Add more cheese to your desired taste.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a cucumber in half lengthwise. Using a mandoline, cut 32 very thin lengthwise slices from cucumber halves. I actually did half and half as I love the cucumber cut into circles.
- Arrange 4 cucumber slices width-wise in a shingled, parallel fashion on the mayonnaise side of the each bread rectangle, trimming cucumber slices to fit the bread rectangle.
- Garnish each canapé with a parsley leaf, if desired.
- Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for up to an hour before serving.
These were soooo good. I loved the mix of the four peppercorn cheese with the cucumbers. In fact I used the leftovers to make sandwiches the next few days and it was fantastic. This is a wonderful addition to any tea party.
For more from The Magician’s Nephew Tea Party/Book Club, go to Cranberry-Spice Scones with Maple Cream
For more recipes, go to Brown Sugar and Cream Cheese Scones
For more cucumber sandwiches, go to Cucumber Sandwiches
For more sandwich recipes, go to Basic Chicken Salad
For more tea posts, go to Mug o’ Tea Treats Christmas Gift