Back in 2020, some friends and I started a Tea Party/Bible Study/Book Club. We met every Wednesday and worked our way through the Chronicles of Narnia and are currently working through The Chronicles of Prydain. When we started I resolved to share all the recipes, but I couldn’t keep up and that’s why I’m still three years behind (but I’m getting there!) All recipes are now going to be titled Books, Tea, and the Trinity.
After we finished The Magician’s Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; A Horse and His Boy,Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: the next book in the series was The Silver Chair.
The first week we had: Cheese and Basil Scones, TeaTime Magazine Cucumber Canapés with Lemon-Basil Butter, teatime magazine Egg Salad and Watercress Sandwiches, and yogurt fruit bark; along with Winter Grey tea.
This recipe comes from TeaTime Magazine, a wonderful gift from a friend that keeps on giving! 🙂 I love anything with radishes or another way to use up the lemons and lemon juice from our tree that never stops being full of fruit.
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, frozen
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Garnish: radishes, sliced
- Using a fork, scrape the sides of the cucumber lengthwise to create lines.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice the cucumber into 12 thin rounds. Place cucumber rounds on paper towels to absorb liquid.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut 12 rounds from frozen bread slices, discarding scraps.
- In a small bowl, stir together butter, lemon zest and juice, basil, and salt until combined.
- Spread a thin, even layer of butter mixture onto each bread round.
- Top each with a cucumber slice. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for a few hours until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish each canapé with a radish half, if desired.
For more canapé recipes, go to Radish-Dill Canapés
For more cucumber recipes, go to Salmon, Cucumber, and Radish Canapés
For more from our Books, Tea, and the Trinity tea times, go to Cheese and Basil Scones
For more recipes, go to Glazed Cinnamon Scones
For more tea posts, go to Tea for Me, Tea For YouTea for Me, Tea For You